/ About Academy / History
The National Academy of Sciences of Belarus (formerly: The Belarusian Academy of Sciences in 1928-1936; The Academy of Sciences of Byelorussian SSR in 1936-1991; The Academy of Sciences of Belarus in 1991-1997) was founded on the basis of the Institute of Belarusian Culture (Inbelkult) (1922-1928), which was reorganized to the Academy through the
Resolution of the Central Executive Committee and Council of People's Commissars of the BSSR of October 13, 1928.
Professor Vsevolod M. IGNATOVSKII, Academician (History) was called the first President of the Academy. The inauguration of the Academy was in Minsk on January 1, 1929, in tenth anniversary of the Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic foundation. At first there were only 128 specialists working at the Academy, with 87 researchers among them. But from the very outset the Academy has became the leading scientific center influencing the economic, engineering, social and cultural development of the Republic of Belarus. In early 1941 the number of the Academy personnel increased up to 750. There were 12 research bodies, including 9 scientific institutes, in its organizational structure.
The normal research and development activities of the Academy was interrupted by the World War II. A part of scientists continued their research work in Russia or other regions of the former Soviet Union. Many specialists of the Academy took part in military actions against Nazi invaders. The biggest tragedy brought about by the war was the loss of scientific staff. The whole number of the Academy personnel was about 360 in 1945. The scientific laboratories, equipment, buildings, the library's funds were burnt or robbed.
After Minsk liberation in July 1944, by the beginning of 1945 eight Academy's institutes renewed their activities, and in 1951 twenty nine research institutions were restored or created anew. A number of researchers, technicians and supporting personnel increased to 1234, among them there were 33 Academicians, 27 Corresponding Members, 55 Professors and Doctors of Sciences, and 165 Candidates of Sciences working in the Academy. The structure of further research activities was developed under the influence of changes in the structure of national economy of Belarus, the requirements of science development, national traditions and the existing scientific potential. The development of the Academy and training the researchers for its institutes was supported by the governments of Belarus and USSR, and also by the famous scientific centers of Moscow, Leningrad and other cities of the former Soviet Union.
On August 5, 1975, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, for merits in the development of Soviet science, economy and culture, the training of highly qualified scientific personnel the Academy of Sciences of the Byelorussian SSR was awarded the Order of Friendship of Peoples.
On December 26, 1978, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, for achievements in the development of Soviet science, economy and culture, the training of highly qualified scientific personnel and in connection with its 50th anniversary, the Academy of Sciences of the Byelorussian SSR was awarded the Order of Lenin.
In accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus No.281 of May 15, 1997 "On the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus", the Academy of Sciences has been transformed into The National Academy of Sciences of Belarus" with the status of the highest state scientific organization of the Republic of Belarus responsible for the coordination and conduct the fundamental scientific research.
In order to enhance the status and increase the responsibility for the development of science, by the Ordinance of the President of the Republic of Belarus No.7 of March 5, 2002, the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus assigned some functions of the republican body of state administration in financing research and innovation, the development of information systems and scientific and technical information, control of the effective use of public funds to finance research and development, as well as carrying out scientific and technical expertise. To effectively deliver on its objectives, NAS of Belarus included the Academy of Agrarian Sciences of the Republic of Belarus, the Belarusian Republican Foundation for Fundamental Research, Belarusian State Research and Production Concern of Interddepartmental Mechanical Engineering and Instrumentation, the Belarusian State Research and Production Concern of Powder Metallurgy, and other organizational structures were created.
During its 85-year history, the well-known and authoritative scientific schools were formed in the NAS of Belarus. The Academy scientists achieved significant success in R&D activities, a series of the large scale theoretical and practical problems in the field of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, Earth science, social sciences and the humanities are solved by them. The research results obtained by the Academician Yevmenii G. KONOVALOV (Physics, 1972), Academician Afanasii A. AKHREM (Chemistry, 1975), Academician Nikolai A. BORISEVICH (Physics, 1977), Academician Fyodor I. FEDOROV (Physics, 1980), Academician Veniamin I. VOTYAKOV (Medicine & Biology, 1986), Academician Vladimir S. ULASHCHIK (Medicine & Biology, 1991), and Candidate of Chemical Sciences Viktoriya A. LAPINA (Biophysics & Biochemistry, 1991) were registered as scientific discoveries in the former Soviet Union and are widely recognized abroad.
/ About Academy / History / Back to Top of Page